- green light
- noun1. a signal to proceed• Syn: ↑go-ahead2. permission to proceed with a project or to take action-
the gave the green light for construction to begin• Hypernyms: ↑permission
* * *nounEtymology: so called from the color of traffic lights when traffic is allowed to proceed: authority or permission to go ahead with a definite project
got a message to leave town and stay lost until I got the green light to return — Polly Adler
a city that has just given the green light to a program of progress — Wall Street Journal
* * *1. a green-colored traffic light used to signal drivers, pedestrians, etc., that they may proceed.2. authorization; approval; permission: The railroad has been given the green light on the proposed fare increase.
* * *green light noun1. A traffic signal indicating that vehicles may advance2. Permission to go ahead3. Any signal or indication of consent or encouragement, as in get the green light (informal)• • •Main Entry: ↑green
* * *a signal that gives traffic permission to move forwardThesaurus: road and traffic signals and crossingshyponym
* * *green light,1. a green traffic signal which indicates that vehicles or pedestrians may proceed.2. Informal, Figurative. permission to proceed: »
the Mississippi legislature gave the green light to the state to take over and develop any seaport in the state (Wall Street Journal).green light or green-light,transitive verb.to authorize or give permission to proceed: »
Only the board has the power to green light the renovation.
* * *1.n. a green traffic light giving permission to proceed■ figurative permission to go ahead with a project2.
the commission has given the green light for a wind-farm development
* * *nounthe green light: permission to start or continue something (such as a project)
His boss finally gave him the green light [=the go-ahead] to start the new project.
* * *permission for a project, etc. to start or continueSyn: ↑go-ahead
The government has decided togive the green light
to the plan.Example Bank:
The council is expected to give the green light to the move.
The industry must not assume that this ruling means a green light to go on polluting our lakes and rivers.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Green Light — ist ein R B Crunk/Funk Lied von der US amerikanischen R B Sängerin Beyoncé Knowles. Das Lied wurde von Knowles, Sean Garrett und Pharrell für Knowles zweites Studioalbum B’Day aus dem Jahre 2006 produziert. Es wurde am 30. Juli 2007 als fünfte… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Green Light — may refer to:*Traffic light *Fishing light attractor *greenlight, formal approval of finance for film production * Green Light (album), a 1982 album by Bonnie Raitt * Green Light (novel), a 1935 novel by Lloyd C. Douglas * Green Light (film), a… … Wikipedia
Green Light — puede referirse a: Traffic light (Semáforo) Fishing light attractor Greenlight, aprobación oficial de financiación para la producción de películas. Green light (UFO), objetos voladores no identificados. Light that is green, i.e., es decir, entre… … Wikipedia Español
green light — Ⅰ. green light UK US noun [C, usually singular] ► permission to start doing something: the green light for sth »They finally got the green light for their project. the green light to do sth »The Commission gave us the green light to start… … Financial and business terms
green light — n 1.) a traffic light that shows cars they can go forward 2.) give sb/sth the green light to allow a project, plan etc to begin ▪ The government has given the green light to Sunday trading … Dictionary of contemporary English
green light — noun count a signal that gives traffic permission to move forward give something/someone the green light to give official approval for something to be done: The project has finally been given the green light … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
green light — ☆ green light n. [in allusion to the green “go” signal of a traffic light] Informal permission or authorization to proceed with some undertaking, as a project to make a film from a proposed script: usually in give (or get) the green light … English World dictionary
green-light — ˈgreen light verb [transitive] to approve a project, plan etc so that it can begin: • Columbia green lighted the film with a budget of $28 million … Financial and business terms
green light — If you are given the green light, you are given approval to do something … The small dictionary of idiomes
green light — green′ light′ n. 1) trs a green colored traffic light used to signal permission to proceed 2) cvb sbz authorization or permission to proceed with an action or project • Etymology: 1935–40 … From formal English to slang
green light — ► NOUN 1) a green traffic light giving permission to proceed. 2) permission to go ahead with a project … English terms dictionary